Matt Kettler a écrit :
>> I am thinking about this case: Joe the spammer bombs you with mail that
>> is not detected as spam. he gets a negative awl.
> That statement implies that there's a "score" for the user in the AWL.
>
> The AWL score varies with what the current messages pre-awl score. The
> AWL can think a sender has a +50 average, ie: strong spam, and if a
> message comes in that scores +100, the AWL will set itself to -25.
> However, if the same message was 0 before the AWL ran, it would give it +25.
>
> Or were you talking about having a negative average because all the
> messages sent as a bomb had negative scores?

yes.

not really a big deal. I took care of the miscreant, but I was trying to
see if I could be less "aggressive" (and have an automated way to deal
with this, so awl seemed a good place).

>>  so the questions are:
>>
>> - if user passes all the message to sa-learn, will that nuke the
>> negative awl value?
>>
> sa-learn doesn't touch the AWL. At all.
>> - is it enough to pass few messages? (in short, does "manual" training
>> have more "weight" than automatic awl learning?)
>>
> There's no such thing as manual training of the AWL. Actually, there's
> no such thing as "training" for it either.
>
> The AWL averages scores. nothing more, nothing less. The message score
> is added when the message is scanned. The AWL has no concept of spam or
> not, just what the historical average is.

I understand, but this may be thought of as a form of learning. not
bayesian, but definitely an automatic learning method that learns the
(partial) "reputation" of (ip, sender) pairs.