RobertH wrote:

>> Um, that's a file that comes with SA, and it is *NOT* user editable.
>> Therefore, it's not an example, it is a standard config file
>> that generates the default settings that you later over-ride
>> with your local.cf.
>>
>> The 3.2.5 installation tarball will install the version of
>> this file that is appropriate for 3.2.5, and sa-update may update it.
>>

> matt,
>
> i am not seeing that file anywhere in my install and i am quite capable of
> using the locate command etc...

Ahh, I forgot, 10_misc.cf has been renamed to 10_default_prefs.cf. My bad.

Here's the 3.2 version.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.2/rules/10_default_prefs.cf

It should, by default, be in /usr/share/spamassassin, along with the
other files that create the default ruleset.

 Updated ones created by sa-update would be in /var/lib/spamassassin.

You may want to template off that (see below)

> i am fairly certain i hand generated and installed via rpm generated by
>
> rpm -tb sa-tarballname.whateveritwas.somethingsomething
>
> something like that.
>
> on a centos aka redhat clone
>
> the misc_10.cf file looks pretty editable to me in some respects.

If it looks editable, please note it contains this text near the top:

# Please don't modify this file as your changes will be overwritten with
# the next update. Use @@LOCAL_RULES_DIR@@/local.cf instead.
# See 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' for details.

(see below for more clarification)

> i wouldnt have even have asked if i had not gone to
>
> spamassassin.apache.org and then clicked on "downloads" and on that page it
> says
>
> System Administrators
> Please create a local copy of the report_template text in a file named
> something like /etc/mail/spamassassin/10_local_report.cf,
Ok, *that* you can do. You can, at the /etc/mail/spamassassin/ level
create a file, with any name, that has the report_template parts of the
file and edit that. This is, of course, creating a copy in your site
rules dir, which is OK.

I was trying to steer you away from the very common mistake of editing
the base config files in /usr/share/spamassassin, as they get
over-ridden, or obliterated, by sa-update runs. Editing files at the
/usr/share/spamassassin or /var/lib/spamassassin level will just result
in your changes being lost on the next sa-update run. Hence the warning.