Ben Winslow wrote:
> If you're worried about spammers gaming the hash system

Most likely, they won't care. They'll happily pursue the "low hanging
fruit". The only exception is if/when freemail ISPs started using such a
list to start investigating individual accounts for possible
termination. But, even then, that is a good problem to have.

Personally, I think the obfuscation is overkill. Instead, I'd prefer to
change the "@" symbol to an underscore (and any other minor change that
might be needed to work with dns queries) and be done with it. This
would also make the implementation easier, and research by ISPs easire.

As with all DNSBLs, the really hard part is not listing legitimate
items. For example, consider that guy out there is probably sending
financial newsletters to his very own clients, uses his ISP's MTA for
sending, but uses a gmail "from" address. His e-mail address might have
a high chance of being mistakenly blacklisted!

The last time 2-3 times I saw this idea come up on either SA or Spam-L,
I recall that the idea was strongly shot down by a number of people for
this and other reasons. But I kept out of the discussion and I actually
thought this could be a great idea... if done right and if FPs are kept
to a minimum. I'd been planning on starting such a list for quite some
time, but it kept getting delayed by more urgent needs.

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/