On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 11:39 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> rich...@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 19:00 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> >> Benny Pedersen wrote:
> >
> >> 2) I didn't include free email providers in my list of "large and
> >> serious hosting providers" - I was thinking more of organisations
> >> such as 1and1, hetzner, rackspace etc. etc.
> >
> > My special award goes to 1and1. I get *so much* spam from their
> > 'customers' that I block all of their ranges. I've come across many
> > others who do the same.
>
> Really?  Well, I can't afford that sort of thing, my customers would get
> up and leave pretty quickly.
I have found the opposite to be true. When I have pointed out to my
customers that using 1and1 is going to give *them* issues with
deliverability of *their* email, they are often keen to find another
provider. No small business wants the hassle of their mail getting
dropped silently on the floor because of the provider they are with and
it's a buyers market.

> > I guess when you are bottom feeding in the Hosting marketplace
> > spammers will make use of your facilities.
>
> I think spammers will make use of whatever facilities they can get hold
> of, even if it's only until they're shut down by the hosting company.
Sure as eggs is eggs they will. It's relatively easy to block dynamic
ranges and bots with confidence - this makes it attractive to look for
'cheap' hosts that off 'trials' to stage mailouts - and 1and1 fit that
bill nicely.