Henrik K wrote:

Mailing lists are much better. I'm signed up for a couple of dozen mailing lists and they pretty much all work exactly the same. I don't want to learn a couple of dozen different types of web based forum software.

When I send a message to a mailing list, it gets pushed out to the mailboxes of everyone who is a member, and when they respond I get an almost immediate response in my mailbox. Far more efficient than forum software.

Good for you. I've signed up for many mailing lists AND forums. There is
nothing inherently better or worse in either of them,

No that's wrong, they're quite different and both have advantages and disadvantages.

it's all up to your
tastes. But it's not like there are "dozen different types" of forums (I
don't really count the crappy sourceforge etc ones).

There are dozens. Whether or not you choose to count some of them in your own personal list isn't really relevant.

When properly setup,
forums offer excellent categorization and search possibilities etc. Makes no
difference to me whether I open up my list-inbox or browser+bookmark.