On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 04:50 -0700, snowweb wrote:

> Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> >

> > What kind of a forum do you see?
> >
> > I use this as an email list, straight from my email application. I don't
> > use Nabble or Google Groups (whatever those might be..).
> >
> > Quite convenient. Just subscribe and enjoy.
> >

> I'm trying to view these threads online, it's obvious that this is more
> orientated to mailing list users, buy the two minutes effort that they spent
> building the online 'forum' type interface.

There is no official "forum type interface", so whatever you are looking
at was hacked up by others.

> I notice that when you compare
> the install base of SpamAssassin which must be in the hundreds of thousands
> or more, with the number of support requests being added to this mailing
> list, it is clear that most requiring support are intimidated by this alien
> way of providing it.

Who said this was a "support" forum?  This is a users list, where users
get together and commiserate about our tool, think of ways to improve
it, bounce ideas off each other about our own implementations, and
generally work as a team towards our end goal - the Final Ultimate
Solution to the Spam Problem [1].

Yes, some of the developers lurk here and occasionally contribute.  But
they have busy lives and prefer to be working, spending time with their
families, or coding.  Not necessarily in that order.

And some of the users here occasionally develop, but that's what
bugzilla and the devel list are for.

As for this format... well, I've been using mailing lists and usenet
since about 1990, so this is the most comfortable way for me to
communicate.  SpamAssassin deals with raw mail, so it is expected that
users will be comfortable using mail.

[1]http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com