On 5-Oct-2009, at 12:53, René Berber wrote:
Warren Togami wrote:
On 10/05/2009 02:30 PM, René Berber wrote:
Warren Togami wrote:

I heard an interesting story from a friend who was working in Mexico for
the past few months.  Apparently in some Latin American countries,
uppercase legitimate person-to-person e-mail is common because it is
seen as a sign of respect.  This apparently is due to historical
telegraph messages being in uppercase.

Not true.

Could you provide some context?  Where are you from?  What kind of
industry or people are you exposed to?

I am Mexican, living in México City.

I grew up in Guadalajara and still have friends there, and in 'el De Effe' as well as scattered around a few other places in Mexico and I can confirm this is simply not true. No one uses all caps as a sign of respect.

I can't speak to other Latin American countries. Perhaps this is true in Guatemala, or Nicaragua? I doubt it though.

--
Everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such
        laugh. Yeah, and the chip stains and grease will come out in the