On Dec 5, 2009, at 4:20 AM, "Per Jessen" <p...@computer.org> wrote:

Charles Gregory wrote:

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Per Jessen wrote:
The other side of the argument is - why does any legitimate company
need to employ a service such as Habeas/Returnpath/whatever?

Any legitimate drug company that wants to send price lists to its
legitimate distributors or end customers, upon request, even if not a
mailing list mail, but specific, one-by-one request/response mails,
would have trouble with spam filters that check for drug names and
percentages and hot words like 'sale'.

Won't customers dealing with such a company will have whitelisted them
long ago?

No. I only locally whitelist when there is a reported problem, and only as a last resort. There is no way for me to know all of the "trusted partners" that we might do business with. A common whitelist of legitimate companies is a welcome thing for me.

The other way I use it, when I get complaints about receiving "spam", is to determine if it is safe to unsubscribe. My users know that bad spammers use unsubscribes as reconnaissance to add valid addresses to their lists. So, when they forgot that they signed up for something, I will often unsubscribe them from a company that is listed in returnpath.

/Per Jessen, Zürich