To: <users@spamassassin.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, 2009/December/07 09:22
Subject: Re: HABEAS_ACCREDITED WHY BY DEFAULT?

On 7-Dec-2009, at 09:03, Charles Gregory wrote:
There's a need. A real genuine need for services like Habeas. But they need to be *very* well managed and policed. And it seems, from some complaints, that this is not happening....

How a service like HABEAS needs to work is that 1) It keeps a massive database of email addresses that are known to either be bad, or to be users who have specifically submitted their addresses as not accepting any unsolicited unconfirmed emails, ever. A spammer — er, marketer, submits their mailing list and it is 'cleaned' of all those addresses, then submitted back to the spammer.

The spammer, in order to register with the service has to pay some amount of money (probably a range of $0-$1,000,000 depending on the size of their list and profit/non-profit status of the sender) that is held in a third party trust. This is money that is deposited in addition to whatever charges there are to clean the list. If the spammer sends any messages to an address that was scrubbed, then the trust money is donated to some charity and the spammers account with the service is revoked and their ENTIRE IP CLASS is submitted to RBLs. In addition, bounce processing for the spam—er, marketing email is handled by the service. Addresses that bounce are added to the database of bad addresses. Spam complaints are added to the database of opt-out addresses.

THAT service I would allow negative points to in my SA. I can't imagine any other commercial whitelist that I would allow negative points for.

--
"Whose motorcycle is this?" "It's chopper, baby." "Whose chopper
is this?" "It's Zed's." "Who's Zed?" "Zed' dead, baby. Zed's