From: "Sahil Tandon" <sa...@tandon.net>
Sent: Saturday, 2009/December/12 15:23

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, jdow wrote:

From: "Marc Perkel" <m...@perkel.com>
Sent: Saturday, 2009/December/12 09:42

>Sahil Tandon wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
> Been using emailreg.org for several months now and it seems like a
>really good white list. Anyone else using it?
>
>Not here.  They charge a $20.00 administrative fee per registered
>domain, purportedly to prevent "domain tasters".  This is odd, given
>their own criticism of other fee-charging white listing services:
>
>"The business model behind other whitelisting services pushes e-mail >into
>a "paid" model. Senders pay to be included in the lists mentioned above.
>Of course, commercial providers have an incentive to enforce their
>policies (otherwise people would stop using them), but only potentially
>"bad" senders have an incentive to make use of such paid services. But
>for the typical receiver (ie you) they do not help to reduce the risk of
>losing mail for the majority of e-mail senders (eg customers and
>partners). It would be counter-intuitive to require all senders to pay
>one of the third parties just to let email through."
>
>My comment wasn't about their policies. I'm just saying that as a
>list user, which is free, it works well. Quite frankly I think the
>$20 charge to get rid of tasters might be effective.

Somehow I think $20 is chump change, tip change, for the real spammers.
{^_^}

Precisely my point.

Per a discussion off the list the $20 is, as mentioned, pretty much a
captcha and as the web site declares, an inoculation against "domain
tasting" or 10 for a dollar .cn domains. The thousands of names
registration isn't going to get through either ReturnPath or emailreg.org.
It takes time to run through the hoops in either case. And $20k is a whole
different ballpark for dollar expense than $200.

It's not bulletproof. But it's probably worth a small negative score to
allow legitimate emails a tiny bump. Their oddball DNS poll also may be
an inoculation against emails originating from a site's hacked systems.

In as much as one Aw Shit seems to wipe out 100 Brownie Points this may
provide legitimate small businesses a quick way out of the blocked status
once they clear up their infections, sort of like awarding Brownie Points
10 or more at a time.

{^_^}