From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <t...@ipinc.net>
Sent: Tuesday, 2010/February/09 14:56

Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 12:58 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
   The problem is the mail client program, specifically
Thunderbird.  There must be a bug in T-bird that is tickled
by these non-text characters because although the Subject
line exists with ***SPAM*** in it if I look at the actual
message in the mailbox with an editor, T-bird displays
the subject line as a BLANK subject.

As you said, this appears to be a thunderbird issue. Went there to
report it?

   Now, why don't I just write a rule in T-bird that trashes mail
that has a blank subject line, I hear you ask?

Err, nope. :)  Note that the Subject actually is NOT empty, as you said.
And unless filtering in TB on (raw or decoded) headers is affected by
the very same bug /displaying/ the Subject header in a specific widget
is... Very unlikely. What's invisible to the eye in the UI seriously
isn't invisible to code logic.

This appears to be a client *rendering*, displaying bug. Not to be
confused with an actual empty header (which isn't the same as a missing
header either) to filter on.

Even though this most likely is a TB bug, it would be interesting to
have a look at these headers. If possible, the raw one, prior to your SA
header munging, err, rewriting option.

OK I did it - and this one is really, really cool!!!

Thunderbird is barfing when it gets TWO "Subject:" lines in the e-mail message.

SA processes it and here's the result: