Kai Schaetzl wrote:
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:56:49 -0800:

MISSING_SUBJECT,

Now, why the message that SA is creating is getting TWO Subject: lines is a different question.

because SA thinks it's got no subject, so it adds one as it is instructed to tag the subject. Obviously, it wants to see at least a whitespace after
the colon to accept it as a header.

Ah, I see, I see. The caveat of course is that the message must be spam, since a regular non-spam message isn't going to trigger the subject tagging. Such as the test message I typed into port 25.

Ted

I did some research on this matter some time ago and if I remember correctly the latest RFCs (5322, maybe 2822) indeed require a whitespace while older RFCs (822) were not 100% clear about this. And it's good practice for clients to be forgiving in the interpretation of received messages. Thus, Thunderbird finds two subjects and displays the second one. I'm sure it's not the only program that does that. What SA probably should do is use the existing subject header, repair it with a whitespace and then tag it. To be sure that there are really no characters (you said there are some unprintable characters, but it rather looks like there are no characters at all) you should examine that message with a hex editor.

Kai