On 10/02/2010 00:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

Our SA installation
is correctly tagging this as spam and sending it forward
to the user.

Well, the usual procedure (*) is to add headers that identify the message
as spam and maybe even show the score, so users can have the mail client
file it to junk. I would consider adding "Spam" in the subject as a
courtesy. You do not have control over the subject at all, it could even
come from another system and be already "tagged" as spam there. However,
you have control over the headers you add yourself and there's where the
music should play.

(*) I personally think that it's a waste to deliver all these messages,
anyway. We put all messages over a certain score in quarantine and there's
almost never a need to release one.

At SMTP time I return a 5xx code during the "DATA" phase for messages classified as Spam. However, I also deliver the message into a read only "Junk E-Mail" folder for the user, immediately marked as Seen and flagged as Junk. Email in "Junk E-Mail" folders is automatically deleted after a week.

In the 5xx code, I also include a special URL which the sender will hopefully see if they read their NDR. They can then click that URL and fill in a captcha in order to release the email. Releasing the email removes it from the recipients Junk E-Mail folder, and places a copy in their INBOX.

So... the sender gets notified if the message is filtered and if they're human they can "unclassify" it as such. While the recipient isn't bothered by Spam, however if they're expecting a message which doesn't arrive due to spam filtering, they know they can just peak in their "Junk E-Mail" folder and it will be there.

Best of both Worlds.

--
Mike Cardwell    : UK based IT Consultant, Perl developer, Linux admin
Cardwell IT Ltd. : UK Company - http://cardwellit.com/       #06920226