On 11/11/2010 8:38 PM, René Berber wrote:
On 11/11/2010 4:13 PM, Noel Butler wrote:

*and* as an  SPF  record type, the TXT method is deprecated, but for
time being it's good to use it since there are a lot, and I mean a  LOT
of outdated DNS servers around that do not support it even today, yes,
the fault of the DNS server admin for running antiquated rubbish, but,
there's just no telling some people to get with the times.
What "SPF record type"?

Using the tools at http://www.openspf.org/ produces the TXT record, and
I don't find any mention to SPF records, on the other hand it says "The
specification has been frozen" talking about the TXT record.

After many complaints from the DNS community over SPF "hijacking" the TXT record, a new SPF record type was eventually accepted. Modern DNS servers allow you to create the record as type SPF to avoid the hijacking. However, as implied earlier in this thread, there may still exist software that doesn't yet support the new record type in addition to DNS administrators that don't realize they have the option. If you're not already using the TXT record for something else, you should consider publishing both.

From http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/TXT_abuse, "Currently almost all SPF records are published only as type TXT. Type SPF records (Type99) should be published if DNS servers are capable of it, but MUST be identical."

/Jason