Ah, I see the problem.  You're assuming that spammers will follow the
rules.  That's a poor assumption.

>> The IPv6 address space is big.  Very, very big.  Even if you chop it
>> in half to /64s, it is still four billion times bigger than the v4
>> address space.  Bad guys hopping around /64s will blow out your DNS
>> cache just as badly as hopping around /128s.
>
>No, since the number of total host numbers in a /64 is vastly larger
>than in a /128, if you hold to single number queries then it will blow
>it out far far faster.

I suppose that's technically correct, in the sense that blowing out in
a millisecond is faster than blowing it out in a minute, but that hardly
matters to people running DNS caches.  Let's do a thought experiment:
imagine you have a big honking DNS cache with 100 billion slots.  If we
had a BL with one potential entry per /64 (keeping in mind that a cache
remembers both successful and failed queries), how much of the address
space can you query before your cache fills up?

Answer 0.00000054% Kaboom!

>Well for starters it almost sounds to me like your not that familiar
>with IPv6 to even say this.  The lower 64 bits of the address is the
>interface identifier, and the upper 64 bits is the sub-network
>prefix.

If you use SAA, sure.  If you use DHCP, the address layout is whatever
it is.

> It is extremely abnormal for a host to change it's MAC address every
> few milliseconds, so the idea that a spammer could cycle through the
> lower /64 using 1 address per message is in the realm of extreme
> improbability.

Like I said, you're making the poor assumption that spammers will
follow your rules.  In reality, they'll do whatever they think will
get their spam through.

>  The only reason to run around saying the sky is falling is if your
>coming at this from the point of view that it would be a normal thing
>to see packets from the same /64 that have many different interface
>identifiers, which there is no logical need for this to ever happen.

Like I said, you're making the poor assumption that spammers will
follow your rules.  In reality, they'll do whatever they think will
get their spam through.

>You would be better off starting with the assumption that the
>existing design is fine, but that it needs adjusting for the new
>circumstances for IPv6.

I did that.  It doesn't work.

R's,
John