On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:21:25 -0800
Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net> wrote:

> No, I am assuming the spammers will do as they have always done in the
> past - attempt to use other people's computers for free.  Other
> computers that are NOT cycling through lots of IP number in the
> normal case.

That's because they can't.  Most end-user computers won't get very far
if they attempt to use an IP address other than the provider-assigned ones.

Things change with IPv6.  You can typically pick from 2^64 possible addresses
per machine without any restrictions from your provider.

[...]

> Don't you realize that the same thing could be done TODAY to limit
> queries?  SA's developers could make a very (IMHO) legitimate
> assumption that any IPv4 address that comes up as a positive hit on a
> BL automatically marks the entire /24 that the IPv4 address is
> in, based on the idea that a spammer is going to obtain a /24 subnet
> and cycle through the IP numbers in that subnet.

That's a very bad assumption.  We use a colocated server as our
ourbound mail host and it's assigned an IPv4 /29.  There could be up
to 32 completely-unrelated machines in our /24; blacklisting us because
of one of them would be very unfair.

[...]

> The only reason nobody has done this is because there has been no
> interest in limiting DNS queries from most SA users.

No.   People don't do that because it's far too draconian.

> The other thing is that if a spammer blows out a client's DNS cache
> (or a client's ISP's dns cache) then the MTA is going to start
> hanging, while it waits for DNS queries that never return (since
> the server is overloaded) and mail receiving will get very, very
> slow - hardly the situation the spammer wants when their intent
> is to deliver e-mail spam!!!

Umm... and that's OK?

> >> Well for starters it almost sounds to me like your not that
> >> familiar with IPv6 to even say this.  The lower 64 bits of the
> >> address is the interface identifier, and the upper 64 bits is the
> >> sub-network prefix.

It doesn't have to be:

$ host mail.ipv6.roaringpenguin.com
mail.ipv6.roaringpenguin.com has IPv6 address 2607:f748:1200:fb:70:38:112:54

70:38:112:54 bears no relationship to any MAC address on that machine.
(But check out the IPv4 adress of mail.roaringpenguin.com)

> and doing this cycling just makes them much more visible as a spammer
> a lot quicker, thus making it a lot easier to smack 'em down faster.

So assume a spammer has 1,000 botnet nodes, each of which has 2^64 possible
IPv6 addresses.  Explain how you can efficiently detect such cycling and block
it.

Perhaps you've heard of "snowshoe spamming"?

> It's far better for the RBL's to just blacklist the entire /48 that
> a spamming IPv6 address appears in.  Sure that sounds draconian but
> that's because your thinking in IPv4 address-scarcity terms.  The
> RBLs can always offer 3 different query servers, one for /48's, one
> for /56's and one for /64s but a /48 is what we need to be shooting for.

I think /48 might be a bit much, but here I mostly agree with you.
I think John's solution is over-engineered and that a /64 or greater
granularity would be perfectly fine.

Regards,

David.