On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net> wrote:

> On 12/30/2010 5:43 PM, John Levine wrote:
>
>> Ah, I see the problem.  You're assuming that spammers will follow the
>> rules.  That's a poor assumption.
>>

> No, I am assuming the spammers will do as they have always done in the
> past - attempt to use other people's computers for free.  Other computers
> that are NOT cycling through lots of IP number in the
> normal case.

I didn't want to get into this debate, but I think this point is naively
optimistic.  If a system is capable of cycling through IP addresses, the
spammer will take advantage of this.  It is trivial to do this on a Linux
machine without disrupting operation of the owner's software by
adding/removing IP aliases.  I would assume there is a way to do it on
Windows as well, although it is better hidden.

Warren