I have recently inherited a web server with roughly 50 clients.  Last week I
started getting complaints about excessive amounts of junk mail being
delivered.  I upgraded my SpamAssassin Rules, Clam AV, MailScanner, and
SpamAssassin Engine (3.2.5 à 3.3.1), in that order.  At first, this seemed to
work.  Customers reported only receiving a few junk mail the following day;
however, since then, they have begun receiving hundreds of junk messages again
each day.  My server is running RHEL5 and the Ensim Pro 10.3 Interface, if that
makes a difference.

My first question is, how can I verify that I installed SpamAssassin correctly
and that it is scanning and marking messages properly.  The server shows the
service as running, but this is all I have found so far to indicate whether it
is working or not.

Second, are there any steps that I should have taken after the installs, or
perhaps did I install things in the wrong order?

Lastly, I have to manually start the service from the console each time the
server is rebooted.  It used to start automatically, and allowed me to restart
the service from the Web GUI if needed.  How can I get it to start
automatically again?  If I try to start it from the GUI, it returns an error of
"Unknown option" and provides a list of switch options.  I know it's trying to
start the correct service from the options listed, but what might be causing it
not to starting?

I am still relatively new to web administration; so, any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike Gibson

Sr. Network Engineer