On 1/4/11 9:53 AM, Mike Gibson wrote:

I have recently inherited a web server with roughly 50 clients. Last week I started getting complaints about excessive amounts of junk mail being delivered. I upgraded my SpamAssassin Rules, Clam AV, MailScanner, and SpamAssassin Engine (3.2.5 à 3.3.1), in that order. At first, this seemed to work. Customers reported only receiving a few junk mail the following day; however, since then, they have begun receiving hundreds of junk messages again each day. My server is running RHEL5 and the Ensim Pro 10.3 Interface, if that makes a difference.

My first question is, how can I verify that I installed SpamAssassin correctly and that it is scanning and marking messages properly. The server shows the service as running, but this is all I have found so far to indicate whether it is working or not.

you say this is controlled by a web gui? you would need to discuss this most likely with someone familiar with that web gui. as for verifying what worked, you need to see the FULL headers of the email the client received.

(for help, see our 'missed spam' faq, somewhere on http://www.secnap.com/support)

also, understand that SA does NOT block spam. it only 'MARKS it'. if your users are getting spam with '***SPAM***' in the subject line, then SA is working.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
>*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

   * Certified SNORT Integrator
   * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
   * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(r). For Information please see http://www.secnap.com/products/spammertrap/