On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:19 -1000, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> On 6/10/2011 7:14 AM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> > Now, the bad thing about this is that updates_spamassassin_org.cf is
> > lexically *after* sought_rules_yerp_org.cf in your rule update dir.
> > Which means the more recent rules in the dedicated Sought channel are
> > overwritten by the stock rules...
> >
> > This merely requires a re-ordering hack, though. A symlink zzz_sought.cf
> > in your rule updates dir, pointing at the channel generated cf should
> > do. These channel cf files only hold include statements, to pull in the
> > actual cf files in the per-channel dir.
>
> Without a re-ordering hack, does this mean mean that essentially
> EVERYONE is using SOUGHT wrong?  This is a bit worrisome.

You'd be closer with a lower-cased "everyone".

This is true since 3.3.0, since the SOUGHT rules got included into the
stock rule-set. It does not affect 3.2.x users.

It does not affect those *not* using the third-party sought channel, but
using the version in the main channel. Granted, those got some rather
stale patterns currently, and are unlikely to hit much recent spam, but
that's a different topic.

It *does* affect anyone using the third-party sought channel explicitly
to get frequent updates of fresh spam-phrase patterns the sought process
extracts. Basically, they just don't get what they wanted, unless...

Unless they participated in the previous thread discussing this issue,
or at least where lurking one way or the other. This topic came up
before, I just summarized the whole thread in my previous answer. :)

While I do agree this is an issue -- at the very least, all third-party
sought channel docs should include that note -- I do not agree that this
is worrisome. The negative impact basically boils down to "the channel
does not work".

Similar to not running sa-update for the main channel. Simply no update.
No harm otherwise.