Depends on the requirements. In our case, we're blocking viruses but tagging
spam for later, so it's slightly more efficient to do the virus scan first.
Even if it blocks <1%, it's still greater than zero.

> We don't use the Sane Security signatures.  If using them would make Clam
> block (say) 10% or more of all messages, I'd have to re-evaluate my opinion.

I wish I could remember the stats from my old job. We had a system that started
with IP block lists, then ClamAV with a bunch of the Sane Security  spam
signatures, then SpamAssassin, all tied together with MIMEDefang. (Thank you,
BTW - that piece of software gave me so much flexibility in our scanning!) I
had MD sort out the virus hits vs. the spam hits from Clam and decide what got
discarded, what got blocked, and what got sent along to SA. I seem to remember
it being worth it, but I just can't remember the numbers.

Kelson Vibber
TollFreeForwarding.com, Development