On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 13:52 +0100, Axb wrote:
> On 2011-12-13 13:44, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> >> If a list is down or unresponsive for any reason, discards requests or
> >> blanks their zone file, the test entry would fail and SA would know to
> >> not use the list. Similarly, 127.0.0.1 should never be listed for any
> >> DNSBL that I'm aware of, and so when a list moves to a list-the-world
> >> configuration, this entry would spot it.
> >>
> > Unfortunately, 1 is a bitwise answer I've seen it used. In fact, just
> > checking real quick, I've got an RBL that uses 1 on a live server now.

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I had a thought.

Since the entire 127/8 is reserved for loopback, nothing in the
127.0.0/24 block should be used as addresses. So, what is preventing
RBLs and RWLs from using the third octet as a status indicator? It seems
to me that the 4th octet can be used as at present as a query response
which would by convention be a valid response if the 3rd octet is zero.
OTOH if the 3rd octet was non-zero, this would indicate that the
response is invalid, so this could provide an unambiguous way for the
various RBLs and WLs to tell individual users to go away if they
exceeded use limits, had an expired subscription, etc.

This seems such an obvious solution that it must have been thought of in
the past and rejected for some reason I don't understand. What did I
miss?

Martin