On 3/12/2012 12:58, Simon Loewenthal wrote:

 At first glance:
This is private black list of email assesses maintened by many.  Free to use,
but it'll turn into a huge file for a server to parse.

 Eventually we moved from hosts files to DNS :)

I should rather block content not email addresses.

The list was originally started by a group of email administrators in higher education who were attempting to deal with an epidemic of compromised accounts that were being exploited to send password phishing spam, mostly to addresses at other colleges and universities. At that point in time, it was easier to filter by sender address or reply-to address than content. Over time, the phishers seem to have expanded the target demographic to include everyone everywhere.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team