On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Jim Schueler wrote:

To restate the question:  My mailbox contains between 10-20 false positives
every morning.  Before reporting them, I pass them through the spam
assassin filter again.  About 20-25% are flagged as spam the second time
through.

The most obvious explanation, which I should've raised the first time, is
that these entries get added to the BL databases during the intervening 6-8
hours.  If so, this understanding will be very helpful.

Can anyone weigh in?

That's the most likely explanation.

One approach to minimize the leakage from this is to institute greylisting with a sufficient delay.

Greylsting by itself also cuts down the spam to a degree where the spambot doesn't retry delivery.

  USMC Rules of Gunfighting #20: The faster you finish the fight,
  the less shot you will get.
 8 days until the 1933rd anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii