On Fri, 28 Dec 2012, Sean Tout wrote:

Hi John,

I wrote every email read to an output file. The output file is identical to
the input file I'm reading the emails from according to diff!

The concern is the format of the single mail object being sent to SpamAssassin for scanning. Having the very first line of that object be a blank line would explain the "misformatted message" rule hits you've reported.

Capturing the entire mailbox and running a diff is certainly suggestive, but to be *sure* you want to look at the messages individually.

If you capture that one mail object to a file, and it is a properly-formatted RFC-822 message with no leading blank lines, and you can successfully pipe that file through SA and get a sensible score, then the problem is not in the data, it's how it's being fed to SpamAssassin within that script.

  The more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more
  likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to
  hasten the process.                                 -- James Lileks
 211 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)