On 2/21/2013 2:51 PM, Jeff Mincy wrote:
    From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgr...@pccc.com>
    Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:07:20 -0500
    > And how is this ISP's issue related to RFCs? The RFC does not mention
    > word
    > "trusted"
    A fair point that I didn't explain clearly enough.
The RFCs cover received headers for SMTP and RFCs strive to be black and
    white.  Discussing things as gray area is an argument that Bill Clinton
    was famous for but doesn't really hold a place in discussing technology
    covered by

Which RFC talks about Received headers having rDNS or what information
is supposed to be in the received header?
Off-hand, I don't know that any specific RFC spells out that exact requirement.

For SMTP, it's http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-3.7.2 along with some others that add requirements for the received header (1651, I think adds ESMTP requirements).

Overall, though Received is considered debug/trace information and pre-existing headers shouldn't be modified when received.

But I do believe it's generally accepted that one of the primary original uses for rDNS was for received headers in SMTP. I don't think anything requires it. Someone on this list will know for sure.

The point of SA's trusted configuration is that you "trust" the
    headers.  In this case, he's saying he doesn't trust the headers because
    they are omitting important information but that they aren't lying, just
    lying by ommissions.   To me, this says "I can't trust those headers"
    and you need to pull back your trust circle which in this case will ruin
    much of the rules SA uses for pathway analysis (RBLs, rDNS, etc.)
Fixing those headers outside SA or fixing the ISP creating those headers
    are the real solutions.

There is of course a third option for me - I could turn off the spam
filtering on Rcn email.  Most of the spam is blocked by Rcn, there's
almost no point in trying to filter what little spam is left.
Agreed. It's unusual these days to have to improve on the upstream provider much more than the junk filters built into MUAs like Thunderbird and Outlook.

regards,
KAM