Here's the current version I'm using based on 3.4.0 trunk:
We're seeing many different variations.  For example, we see over
70 variations in the name (not just "Connor Hopkins").
Agreed.  That's more of an internal meta because we had one person really
getting hammered.  YMMV.

I've been curious what's going on with the Yahoo spam because the from name that's been used has been someone I know, but the actual yahoo account the spam is sent from is not. So it sounds like spammers are using some means to determine the name of someone you know and then have an unrelated to that person compromised account send the spam to you with a name you know. I've even wondered if social networks are involved somehow.

Steve