I am 100% certain that it is compromised accounts on yahoo where they steal the
address books.  They then seem to cross correlate and use common last names to
mail people using other compromised yahoo accounts.  Though I need to check if
they have started forging as well through other servers.

I have seen a lot of these examples and have specific patterns that make this
the only possibility.
Regards,
KAM