On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 20:34 -0500, Steve Prior wrote:

> I'm really starting to suspect that these spammers are scraping your public
> posts on Facebook and grabbing the names of people that commented on those
> posts, then using a Yahoo account and setting that name on the account before
> sending the spam.  The only issue is how do they find the legitimate email
> addresses of the person to send the spam to.  I wouldn't be at all surprised
> hear that this had something to do with a Facebook app people let have access
> their account info.

Thats not the only mechanism they're using. I don't use any social
networking sites yet I get a small amount of spam sent via Yahoo too. In
my case the forged sender has usually been presented as a member of a
mailing list I subscribe to, though the last example had got my address
via a virus or trojan on a friend's Windows box and somehow knew that he
sends sport-related multiply addressed e-mails from time to time: the
spam's subject line looked as if it was one of them and the only real
giveaway was that the single line payload pushed a Romanian site when
the genuine e-mails are exclusively about British topics.

Martin