Quoting "David F. Skoll" <d...@roaringpenguin.com>:

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 11:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org> wrote:

> So there is merit in building a distributed look-up system using SA.

Distributed lookup of *what*, though? Can you clarify that part of
your idea? Are you referring to distributed whois queries for a
domain name, to determine its age?

Well, here's how it could be done.  Imagine someone runs a DNS zone
for "newdomain.example.net".  You want to see if "example.org" is a new
domain, so you look up a TXT record for example.org.newdomain.example.net.

The DNS software that serves the zone newdomain.example.net runs
the following pseudo-code when "example.org" is looked up:

IF example.org is in my database
THEN
   return the TXT record associated with example.org
   update the last-looked-up time for example.org
ELSE
generate a TXT record of the form YYYYMMDDHHMMSS corresponding to current time (UTC)
   insert it in the database
   return it
ENDIF

A background job will periodically clean out domains that haven't been
queried in a long time.

The clever part is that once lots of sites begin using this in their
SA setups, we'll very quickly build up quite an accurate database of
newly-seen domains that's completely independent of any registrar for
a data source.

Yes, spammers can poison it by specifically looking up a domain,
waiting a couple of days, and then spamming.  But I think most won't bother
(witness how effective greylisting still is.)

Furthermore, you can ignore all but the first few hundred lookups before you
enter the TXT record in the database; this will make it more expensive
for spammers to poison the data.  Or you could not enter a record in the
database until it has been looked up from 100 different IP addresses... I
can think of a few other countermeasures.

So.... who's volunteering to do this? :)

Regards,

David.

The point was, I have already done this, and have it in production. I did this cause this subject keeps coming up from time to time, and I was personally interested to see the results of it.

And I do agree with Rob McEwen on many points. And I would be hisentant to outright block. But so far, and I doubt much in real usage, and haven't found any yet, any issues with blocking <1day outright.

But then the only way to be completely sure of that, will be time.