On 7/29/2014 9:33 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

On 7/28/2014 4:17 PM, Jay Plesset wrote:
My church decided to go with O-365, without even evaluating any
alternatives. We have an unemployed IT person that talked the staff into
this, even though I've offered to implement a "real" e-mail solution
multiple times, and even provide hardware to run it on.

Apparently they didn't understand if the guy was an unemployed IT person
there was a reason he was unemployed!
Agreed.....

"free" was the biggest draw, then "no administration". *sigh*.

But, the "no administration" isn't true at all. There's still administration.

Does Microsoft provide Office 365 free to churches?  I know that they
had ridiculously cheap server license pricing (through their Charity
Pricing program) but I didn't know they had got to Free with Office 365?
That's what they told me.  I said, "Free for now at least. . . "

I did a lot of work for my families church a decade ago in the volunteer
area.  Both on the building committee and IT work for them.

I learned after a year that if your goal is to have people who don't
understand or appreciate what you do for them, and shit all over what
you do for them, volunteer for a church.
Oh, yeah. My wife and I built a new website for them. Last summer, the staff didn't bother with updating the calendar, and come fall, they said, "we forgot how".

The other thing about churches is that the staff runs more than they should, and really, truly doesn't understand the reason for a website, marketing, etc.

jay

There's a reason most churches constantly solicit for volunteers. A church is the only place that a professional tradesperson can volunteer his services and during the job be told that he's doing it wrong, by people who have never held a wrench, paintbrush, pipe threader, network cable, you name it.

I actually saw one time a couple come in and paint a large room in the church, used very good paint, excellent coverage, masked off everything,
etc. and when they left the room looked like a pro had done it - no
paint runs or drips where they weren't supposed to be etc. Then 2 weeks later the church paid to have a professional come in and paint the room - again - same color - same paint. When I asked why, I was told "we had the painters scheduled for that room, they should have asked us before painting in there" This is the kind of politics you run into with church volunteering.

Ted

jay plesset
IT, dp-design.com