On 12/2/2014 5:50 PM, Noel Butler wrote:

On 02/12/2014 23:10, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

5.10 is only what, six years old? Surely anyone running anything older have far greater issues :)

(says the guy running a few slackware 13.1 boxes with 5.10.1 hehe but theyll join the 14 series this Christmas when I can take them offline to upgrade em, even -current is useing a 12 month old 5.18.1)

There is a fairly consistent streak in some distros to backport patches to older versions rather than move the version forward. 5.8.8 is in pretty far spread use from my knowledge.

Likely in antique versions of debian and Redhat (which again will have bigger issues), there surely must come a time when the line is drawn and say - you're unsupported from this_date, give them plenty of notice, I think 12 months notice is plenty of time for planned upgrades or devise workarounds, SA is not updated all that often, so a next major release would be about 12 months away, short of a serious exploit found anyway, so there's plenty of time for lazy admins to do what they actually get paid to do :)

Well, I also can't justify requiring a newer version of Perl just for one regexp.

Regards,
KAM