On 12/3/2014 6:28 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

I am really boggled by people wanting to run LTS versions of code with
old versions of tools and expecting to run newer versions of other
things.

Microsoft thinks like you do, that's why Internet Explorer 8 was the last version of IE to run on Windows XP.

Google does not, that's why Chrome today still runs on Windows XP.

Chrome is kicking IE's ass out of major swaths of market share because of this decision. I still see IE required by large IT departments running big commercial apps which require IE - but every end user nowadays I setup with a new PC tells me to install Chrome because they prefer it.

What does the SA project want to be?

More constructively, it's perfectly possible to build newer perl in a
different prefix.  Just because there's an old perl in the base system
doesn't mean someone can't do that; that's what you'd have to do if the
base system didn' have perl.

Perl stopped being a good idea to include in the base distos when it decided it was an OK thing to break backwards compatibility with Perl scripts around Perl version 5.0. The clueful distro maintainers started dropping it then.

Ted