On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:34:28 -0500
Alex Regan <mysqlstud...@gmail.com> wrote:

[David Skoll]
> > spreadsheet with a macro virus in it.  ClamAV is essentially
> > useless at detecting viruses, so it's a real problem... any ideas?

> Useless? Are you using the third-party patterns?

No, because when I tried some of them, there were an unacceptably
high number of FPs.  I tried tweaking various sets of Sane Security
signatures and they didn't work well for me.

> Just not responsive enough or doesn't have the technology to catch
> today's threats?

It's not responsive enough.  And I don't mean to pick on ClamAV;
these macro viruses are slipping past a lot of signature-based AV products.

> What are the threats it doesn't catch?

Pretty much 99% of the malware passing through our relays (mostly
macro viruses nowadays.)

Regards,

David.