On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 18:59 -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> > I'll answer several questions in this post hopefully.
> > First, the line in my resolv.conf fire search PK5001Z, pertains to my
> > Zyxel PK5001Z modem, so as a test I've commented out that line in
> > my /etc/resolv.conf and ran sudo resolvconf -u. If it makes a difference
> > I'll make the appropriate changes elsewhere to make it permanent.
>
> I'm mildly allergic to resolvconf as it seems to Do The Wrong Thing any
> time I've let it have its way.  Otherwise your DNS cache appears to be
> set up correctly.
>
> The search line is a red herring since it's only used, as David Jones
> pointed out, on lookups with a tool like host or dig where you've just
> specified a host part.
>
> > As far as running something other than Bind, I'd run it for many years
> > on my old Mandriva box before it crashed. Once I got it up and running
> > (with some help from the Bind users list) I never had one single
> > problem.
>
> *nod*  I continue to use it on my own server and as a LAN cache because
> I'm familiar with it and its minor warts don't cause issue.  (And one
> arguable misfeature makes certain parts of managing my own LAN DNS a
> little simpler.)  About all switching would do is give you minor
> headaches learning the new configuration, and probably fresh new
> confusing log entries.
>
> > chris@localhost:~$ grep 'connection refused' /var/log/syslog.1|grep
> > sorbs|awk '{ print $11; }'|sort|uniq -c
> >       2 113.52.8.150#53
> >       8 174.36.198.233#53
> >      14 174.36.235.174#53
> >       9 67.228.187.34#53
> >
> > Again, to my untrained eye this shows less info than using $10 in the
> > awk statement.
>
> From your logs, $10 (the tenth blob of non-whitespace) is the lookup
> that was attempted.  $11 is the remote server your cache tried first and
> got refused by.
>
> That looks like essentially the same list as I found, so it looks like
> SORBS has a number of bad servers.  I checked the list of nameservers
> returned by "host -t ns dnsbl.sorbs.net", and I find it curious that
> only the first one seems to actually be in that list, but given the
> scale they're operating on I can imagine several reasons an apparently
> uninvolved IP would be responding for their DNSBL subzone.
>
> There's nothing on your end to do other than fiddle with logging to hide
> the noise;  so long as what you're looking up in DNS can be found on
> another server, your "client" lookups (either by hand with host, dig,
> etc or by eg SpamAssassin) will succeed.
>
> > A spam came through a bit ago and this was in the SA markup:
> >
> > 0.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP
> > address
> >                             [70.197.75.74 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
>
> score RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL 0 0.001 0 0.001
>
> This is an advisory rule, mainly used in meta rules.
>
> > Looking back at my spam folder this was the markup on a spam that came
> [...]
I understand now Kris, I guess I've been going on about nothing
basically as like you said if the reply from one server fails it tries
another and so on. I don't mind the logging to syslog and I guess I
should have realized awhile back that not every query in every message
fails but it just didn't hit me that way. I guess this happens when you
get old, little things tend to bother you.

Thanks again
Chris

--
Chris