On Oct 2, 2015 6:47:41 am
RW wrote:

>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 18:53:16 -0700
>> Larry Goldman wrote:
>>
>> From http://spamassassin.apache.org <http://spamassassin.apache.org/>:
>>
>> Latest News
>>
>> 2015-04-30: SpamAssassin 3.4.1 has been released! Highlights
>> include:
>>
>> improved automation to help combat spammers that are abusing new
>> top level domains;
>>
>> I?m running SpamAssassin on CPanel shared hosting (GoDaddy). For
>> several weeks, I?ve been inundated with spam from various new
>> top-level domains: .date, .win,, .faith, .racing. CPanel has options
>> for specifiying SpamAssassin rules, but no other configuration files
>> are readily available for modification.
>>

> Are you sure you can create actual SpamAssassin rules? As opposed to
> just adding blacklist_from entries and rescoring existing rules. I don't
> see anything on the GoDaddy site to suggest you can, and they are
> usually not supported on shared email servers because users may create
> pathological rules that hog resources.
>
> If not, all you can do is create blacklist entries like "*.science".
> Whilst this will work, it is a hostage to fortune.
>
> IIWY I'd look into whether GoDaddy  provides any mechanism for training
> SpamAssassin's Bayes component.

I’m using the CPanel shared hosting on GoDaddy. Inside there, SpamAssassin is
running.

On CPanel -> Email -> Apache SpamAssassin™ -> Configure Apache SpamAssassin™ ->
there are “score” text boxes with these instructions:

"Assign scores (the number of points for a hit) to a given test. Scores can be
positive or negative real numbers or integers. "SYM-BOLIC_TEST_NAME" is the
symbolic name used by Apache SpamAssassin™ for that test; for example,
'FROM_ENDS_IN_NU'. If only one valid score is listed, then that score is always
used for a test. If four valid scores are listed, then the score that is used
depends on how Apache SpamAssassin™ is being used. The first score is used when
both Bayes and network tests are disabled. The second score is used when Bayes
is disabled, but network tests are enabled. The third score is used when Bayes
is enabled and network tests are disabled. The fourth score is used when Bayes
is enabled and net-work tests are enabled. Setting a rule's score to 0 will
disable that rule from running.”

>> Where is this improved automation documented?
>>
> It's not really something that end users need to know about. SA keeps a
> list of TLDs that's used for finding domains in the text - mainly so
> they can be looked-up in URI blocklists. That list is now distributed
> with rule updates instead of as a part of the install.

Can you tell me more about rule updates?
Where are current rules documented?

>> How can I stop the spam from new top level domains?
>> What (new) rules apply to unknown new top level domains?
>>
> I don't think there are any, it's not really SpamAssassin's place to be
> making policy decisions like that.

The problem I’m trying to solve is an avalanche of spam being sent from various
“new” top level domains, as enumerated in my original post. What SA rule will
remove these?