On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 13:00:14 -0700
Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> On 2016-09-05 12:21, John Hardin wrote:
>
> >     header      __RP_MATCHES_RCVD
> > eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()
> >
> > ...which means you'd need to go digging around in the perl code to
> > find out what it's doing.
> >
> > Basically, it's a check that the return-path (the SMTP "MAIL FROM"
> > envelope value, if available) matches a received header in the
> > message.
>
> Based on the description string, I think (in fact I hope) that this is
> not quite right; it's not "matches _a_ Received header" but "matches
> _the_ Received header emitted by my MX host".

It's actually two rules in one, either it matches on the  first-trusted
rDNS or if you have no untrusted received headers it can match on any
received header. I suspect you are seeing the latter case. The former is
basically a poor mans SPF_PASS, and that only scores  -0.001.

There is a problem with this rule that it does very well as a ham
indicator in rule QA, but does very badly on a lot of real mail
servers, causing FNs. At one point RP_MATCHES_RCVD was converted into
the unscored __RP_MATCHES_RCVD where it was dubiously allowed into meta
rules. IMO it should not have been allowed back as a scored rule.

Unless you've established that it does well for you I'd suggest you
score RP_MATCHES_RCVD at 0 and avoid it in meta rules.