On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, thomas cameron wrote:

Howdy, all -

I rolled a new mail server out for my small business, and I've got a
pretty vanilla SA setup. It's just not doing a very good job of catching
spam. I'm getting a TON of "Amazon gift card" and "female hair loss" and
"work from home" spam in my inbox. I feel like if I see one more e-mail
about Blake Shelton, I'm gonna scream.

Is there a good tuning/config page anywhere? Last time I messed with SA,
I used www.spamtips.org. It's pretty old, though, so I imagine there are
better ways. I also used to use rules du jour, but I read that that's
old and not maintained any more.

What do you guys recommend for tuning? It's been so long since I really
dove deep into SA, you can just assume I'm starting from scratch.

Make sure you have a local recursing (**NOT** forwarding) DNS server that your MTA and SA are configured to use. Reason: if you're forwarding your MTA DNS requests to your ISP's DNS server, the aggregated traffic of you plus all the other ISP clients can exceed the various DNSBL and URIBL free-usage limits, rendering those tools useless. A clear indicator this is happening: URIBL_BLOCKED hits.

Train up your Bayes using hand-vetted spam *and* ham, at least 200 of each. Using autolearn initially can be problematic, so disable that until SA is doing a fairly good job using hand-trained Bayes. Then you can let autolearn keep it up-to-date if you like, and continue to capture and manually train any persistent misses or near-misses. Generally the more you feed Bayes the better it performs, but it must be accurately classified. If you feeed garbage to Bayes, you'll get garbage results.

Keep hand-classified Bayes corpora around in case you ever need to wipe and retrain from scratch.

Ensure you're training Bayes as the user that SA is running under. Training the wrong Bayes database is a common cause of problems.

Consider doing some MTA-level DNSBL checks. The Zen DNSBL is well-regarded. If you're using Postfix then there are some emails from Reindl Harald on this list regarding weighted DNSBL scoring that you may find useful. You'll have to search the archives to find those.

There are some other MTA-level checks you can perform, like greet pause and HELO validation (e.g. reject if the HELO has no dots).

Consider greylisting.

 Windows and its users got mentioned at home today, after my wife the
 psych major brought up Seligman's theory of "learned helplessness."
                                             -- Dan Birchall in a.s.r
 5 days until the 229th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution