On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 17:49:47 +0100
Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I have a some genuine emails getting marked with NO_DNS_FOR_FROM
> from one particular domain and I'd like to know exactly why. I've had
> a dig in the Spamassasin Dns.pm but I can't work out exactly what
> process_dnsbl_result is doing. What exactly does it check WRT MX and A
> records?

It does what it says it does, it checks if the envelope sender
address has neither an MX nor A record.

One complication is that SA has to work out what the  envelope sender
address is,  see "envelope_sender_header" in the configuration
documentation.

If you have a copy of the email that failed on NO_DNS_FOR_FROM, run it
through SA and see if the problem is reproducible. If it is run it
through spamassassin -D and search for NO_DNS_FOR_FROM to see what
address is being used.