On 11/28/10 12:28 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:

It doesn't track the future of a file, it tracks the history. Start with a peg
revision

Wat? It start with HEAD irrelevant to what PEG revision we've specified.
And immediately spitting "no such file", although the file is 100% there.

Yes, if you ask it for HEAD in your range, it has to start there because history only goes backwards. Or it will try to and fail.

[C:\]$svn log -v -r 0:HEAD -- http://svn.darkdragon/repos/t...@2
svn: '/repos/!svn/bc/35/test' path not found

But you are asking it to track the future of that file to a place it doesn't
exist.

I beg to differ.
I'm asking to
1. Pick the file (directory) /test at revision 2
2. Track it's changes history from revision 0 to HEAD.

But, because subversion tracks a file's history, not it's future even if you think you are asking it to start with rev 0 and go forward, in fact it can only start with the last rev and work backwards.

3. I'm fully aware that the directory does not exist in HEAD, neither I ask
Subversion to look there in first place. (literal meaning of "first place")

You have asked it to pick the version of /test that existed at revision 2, then get the history of that item in HEAD back to rev 0 and print it out backwards. Or at least that's the only way it can attempt to do what you asked.

4. Quite (un)surprisingly, my intent is to actually find revision, in which
the destruction was made. Because, quite (un)surprisingly, I don't know that.

I'd like to be able to see the future too - but unfortunately, neither subversion nor I can do that.

Nah, it could just obey to @PEG rule. Everything will be simpler.
Unless there's absolutely no other way to track the file from @PEG, which i
doubt, since you DO can access the file by @PEG, as well as navigate back in
time easier, than forward.

It does obey @peg, and it can navigate as far as that item existed. If you give it a range where that item exists at the latest rev it will show you the log of its history. If you give it a range where the item doesn't exist it will tell you it doesn't exist because it can only work by finding the highest rev in the range and following history.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikes...@gmail.com