On Jan 11, 2014, at 08:18, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> I use svn client installed by macports. It's current version is 1.8.5.
>
> I've been down that road before.  Macports is mostly reliable, but not
> entirely reliable.

I’m a manager of the MacPorts project. If you’re experiencing any problems with
MacPorts, please contact us on the macports-users mailing list or file a ticket
in our issue tracker.

> And every time you apply some update to XCode, apple replaces with default
> binaries again, which you won't know by default, until you step into some
> pitfall and waste time figuring it out.

Yes, you should not replace Apple software; that route only leads to sadness.

> And I've run into a lot of conflicts between macports and homebrew…

That’s to be expected. Use one package manager only, not a mix of two or more;
more sadness there.

> If you need 1.8, I'll agree, thanks to macports, there *is* a solution
> available.  But I'm choosing not to go that route...  Thanks...

MacPorts Subversion works fine; I use it daily.