Den tors 28 okt. 2021 kl 16:39 skrev Nathan Hartman <
hartman.nat...@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 3:47 AM Justin MASSIOT | Zentek
> <justin.mass...@zentek.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Luke,
> >
> > If the 3D models are "source" files, then I personally approve to put
> those files into a Subversion repo. That's what I do everyday with
> Electronic engineering CAD files.
> > By the way, don't forget you may not be able to "diff" between two
> versions of a file. If not, you lose one the main strength of a Version
> control system: doing even a small rollback may become a pain... Plus if
> you can't diff, you probably can't merge either! I encourage you to use
> locks to avoid any form of conflicts. The "needs-lock" property can be
> useful.
> >
> > As for the project status, I don't know anything but I would be curious
> to get the developers' point of view.
>

> This sounds similar to our use case at $dayjob, where we have been
> using SVN since 2007 to house various types of assets, not just
> source code.
>
> Yes, you can't diff and merge binary assets, but that would be true
> whether you use a version control system or not. But you do benefit
> from having older versions in case you need more than the "undo" of
> whatever application creates those files, and you have a log of who
> committed each file and when. If you can get your users to write
> *helpful* log messages, that's even better.
>
> Before we adopted SVN, we actually first looked at Git because it
> seemed very popular even in those early days, but ultimately we
> decided on SVN because it is much more suitable for us, partly
> because non-software-developer users are able to understand it and
> partly because it's better at housing non-source-code assets, like
> CAD, EDA, artwork, documents, etc. Distributed systems like Git rely
> upon being able to fork and merge, which you can't do with non-
> source-code assets.

This was also my arguments for choosing SVN (also much based on the
TortoiseSVN client, we're a strictly Windows shop).

I also needed the ability to checkout a specific subfolder of the
repository (we need about 7 such checkouts spread in a directory tree that
has a non-standardised layout) without cloning everything in each location.

Regarding the project's viability going forward, my point of view is
> that like all open source projects, it ultimately depends upon
> whether those who benefit from it are willing to give back in some
> way; not necessarily financially, but rather in terms of helping in
> any way that one is willing and able to, whether it's documentation,
> fixing bugs, developing features, testing, or whatever. I'm here
> because Subversion is important to me both professionally and
> personally.

+1 to this.

Kind regards,
Daniel