On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 10:24:55AM -0400, Mark Phippard wrote:
> SVN's design handles renames well from a version control history point
> of view, but it does not handle them well when doing things like merge
> or even update if you have local mods to a file that was renamed. Git
> actually handles this much better. SVN has tried to solve it with the
> tree conflict feature and incremental progress has been made to
> resolve those tree conflicts better but it still leaves a lot to be
> desired.

What is left to be desired when updating or merging a renamed file
with local mods? As far as I know, in current versions of SVN, this
is working quite well.

Like with Git's heuristics-based approach, some cases are handled much
better than others. But simple file renames should be fine.
I don't know what the various SVN GUI clients have implemented on top
of the functionality we have built. But our command line client should
not even require additional user input in most such cases and just do
the "right thing" automatically.