On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 10:01 AM Luke Mauldin <lukemaul...@icloud.com> wrote:

> The other option for me at the moment is to use Git and LFS which is somewhat
> similar but not ideal.

It is a viable option but I would say the biggest problem is you still
have to clone the entire repository which may or may not be ideal for
your situation. With SVN, if you can come up with a folder structure
that makes sense a user only has to checkout the partial subtree they
care about. For someone working on CAD files exclusively this may be
preferable.

> You mention renames as an example of a problem that are unlikely to ever be
> resolved.  Can you please elaborate on the issue?  My understanding is that
> especially the newer versions of SVN potentially do a better job of tracking
> renames than Git because SVN actually tracks more file level information
> whereas Git only tracks the contents of files.  Many times I have renamed a
> file in Git and then also changed a couple of lines of text and Git sees it
> as a delete/add and not a rename.  I know that there are various options you
> can set in Git to allow 90% of text similarity to be tracked as a rename but
> its just a pain and not intuitive at all.

The roadmap page has links to the main tracking issues:

https://subversion.apache.org/roadmap.html

SVN's design handles renames well from a version control history point
of view, but it does not handle them well when doing things like merge
or even update if you have local mods to a file that was renamed. Git
actually handles this much better. SVN has tried to solve it with the
tree conflict feature and incremental progress has been made to
resolve those tree conflicts better but it still leaves a lot to be
desired.

Of course all of this is only relevant for text files so I was not
sure if this was even an issue for you. I was assuming your project
was all binary files. If regular source code is the bulk of your needs
then I would probably look at Git + LFS. Especially if you could
isolate the binaries to multiple separate repositories so that a user
was not forced to checkout unwanted files. Aside from the rename
handling, I think Git is better because of the code review workflows
it can provide better than SVN.

Mark