There is no need to build desktop-like interfaces pixel by pixel. Just think about Echo's HtmlPanel, it's very similar to Tapestry's templating mechanism. The good thing in GWT is to use the efficient development style of Swing (I mean Java only, easy to debug/test) but allow to use the underlying browser's HTML+CSS capatibilites for layout.

Regards,
Norbi

Paul Cantrell wrote:
I completely agree with about 90% of what Todd writes. This is definitely not a flash in the pan, and the idea of using an intermediate language (Java, in this case) that compiles to client-side code is a brilliant and revolutionary one.

Finally, there was nothing wrong with the original MVCs. Swing (or any other traditional MVC) worked.

Actually, I think Swing kind of sucks, and looked good when it came out only because MFC, X, and AWT were so much worse. Swing ain't no Cocoa. And honestly, I still kind of miss Metrowerks Powerplant.

But my real concern about GWT is that it appears to bring us back to the world where everything is just a mess of one-size-fits-all widgets. Konstantin is right, of course -- there is no web text editor than can compare to a dedicated text editor rich GUI. The reason for that, however, is because people took a *lot* of time to work out all the minutiae of making a good UI for editing text.

By contrast, most desktop apps stick their domain into existing widgets (one of which is a text editor) instead of going to the enormous trouble of build a new, highly specialized UI with custom graphics.

DHTML+CSS is quite expressive, but much lower cost, than build a custom desktop UI component pixel by pixel. Right now, GWT seems to lead away from some of that flexibility, and put us back in the world of predefined widgets.

Note that this concern does *not* depend on GWT's fundamental architecture, which is quite promising. Rather, it's a complaint about GWT's emphasis on widgets and widgety UIs. One need only look at Google Maps to see that GWT does not imply ultra-modal widget overload hell.... But will GWT really lead us to fine apps like that? Or will it lead us to apps that look like the config dialogs for Word (bleah)?

Regardless, it's exciting to live in a world where all these great technologies are pushing and learning from one another. Compare that to the stagnant software world of ten years ago!

Cheers,

Paul