I wonder how hard it is to break from the conventions in Rails. I
would expect that with Tapestry+HM it would be pretty easy.

Tapestry, in some cases, has too many conventions. Look at the rules
for finding pages and components. If you add em all up there are more
than 10.  (10!!)

We, and I'm sure everyone does this, have chosen the case that works
best for us(plus we are using Tap 3 and have Spindle - cringe - duck)
and made that the convention in the office. All of our 9 developers do
the same thing. We have even made conventions on how we handle the
rewind, use javascript in our pages, etc. With 160+ pages it's pretty
easy for any developer to go in and fix a bug in a page they didn't
write. We had one person, who has since moved on, who decided not to
follow the office conventions and it has been a nightmare fixing
issues in that code.

So, yes I'm very pro convention.

Geoff