We'll read up on this stuff. Thank you.  but I have more comments in line.

Filip S. Adamsen wrote:
Defaults for Symbols are easy. Just contribute your defaults to FactoryDefaults, and let the user override them in ApplicationDefaults:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/symbols.html

thank you, I will read up.

Configurations are different, and have caused quite a few people problems. There's been talk of adding an override method MappedConfiguration to allow this, see Howard's comment:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-45

You can easily code around this anyhow, it's just a matter of having an extra service to hold the default configuration.

1) will read up.

2) We also have usecases for overriding mapped ordered configuration. ( Like setting up our own RenderSupport!!) So if someone adds overrides, please add them to all forms of contributions!

3) You can't easily do this for MetaData, since the MetaDataLocator throws an exception for non-existent meta lookups. I guess I can wrap that in a helper method that will do what I want.. look for "meta", and use it, if exception, try "meta-default", etc. But that's just not cool, and what if I have 2 or three layers of users, and each wants to set/override the meta..

thank you for giving me something to read! :)

-Filip

On 2008-10-03 20:20, Fernando Padilla wrote:
 > can you tell me why you want to change the contribution?
 > why not set it only once?

Alright, so maybe my response below is a little rant/flame. But really, are you truly saying that Tapestry doesn't allow libraries to properly set defaults, then allow users of the library to override those defaults??

<rant>
This is a library! A library needs to be able to set defaults, that users of the library can override for their particular purposes. Else, every setting becomes required for every user to set!

How does tapestry deal with Symbols? Do we have to always set tapestry.production-mode, or page pooling configuration? Or with the "default" mime-type of a page? Would you want to force everyone to set the mime-type of every page to be "text/html"???

Tapestry MUST support a way to set defaults reliably for Symbols and configurations reliably, and yet allow users of those to override them! I really can't see any other way. Are you truly saying that this basic use case can't be supported?
</rant>