In how far shoult GAE be a showstopper for anything? It is neither the
promised land, nor some gift from the gods. I would rather find it a
showstopper, if shady compromises were made just to cater to a somewhat
castrated platform which is actually only beneficial, if you should happen
to have the next viral killer-application and need to scale fast and to
millions of users.

For everything else I can't see the summary benefit of it. If you need the
scaling you are forced to rewrite large portions of your app eventually and
if not, there is no reason to bend around googles subset of Java.

But of course that is only my personal opinion.