I currently rate getting a stable 5.1 release out at a higher priority
than GAE compatibility. I'm really in a bug fixing mode now, and
retooling the template parser (again!) is a bit more work than I want
to take on. We do have some very fine tests, so if someone else wants
to take a crack at it, that may be good. The pain of going back to a
SAX parser, or the relative inefficiency of a DOM parser, makes
keeping with StAX look good to me.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Fernando Padilla <f...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> cool. all valid points. :) :) :)
>
> Alex Kotchnev wrote:
>>
>> Fernando,
>>   you're so right, I will probably have to wait a few weeks or
>> months. I mentioned something, as there have been a couple of
>> discussions on the subject on the list, and on top of that Howard
>> asked what the showstoppers were to releasing 5.1 . I think that this
>> is a good way to rephrase the question "are there any showstoppers in
>> 5.1" as "what are the things stopping you from moving your 5.0 app to
>> 5.1". In other words, 5.1 has quite a bit of nice improvements, but if
>> there are things holding people back on 5.0.18, then it must be
>> something significant.
>>
>>   On the sentiment that GAE is not all that important  to complain
>> and put pressure (btw, I wasn't complaining or applying pressure, just
>> trying to start a good discussion that would be beneficial to 5.1). It
>> seems to me that GAE is a bit like the iPhone : it's nothing all that
>> new (e.g. if you wanted Java hosting you could have gotten it before
>> GAE, just like if you wanted a smartphone you could have gotten one
>> long before the iPhone). However, to a large extent it has become the
>> measuring stick for frameworks because of Google's visibility : if
>> your framework runs on GAE, it's ahead of the game, if it doesn't,
>> it's behind.
>>
>>   On the subject of scalability and GAE : most of the apps that I
>> have in mind are small and probably wouldn't warrant buying hosting
>> for, and thus are ideal candidates for GAE . On a separate note, I see
>> GAE as a huge opportunity for providing services for small businesses
>> : e.g. getting them on Google Apps is an easy sell, then the upsell
>> from Google Apps to custom GAE apps is a piece of cake. Thus, the
>> frameworks that DO run on GAE will have an advantage in spurring
>> further adoption in that arena.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex Kotchnev
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Fernando Padilla <f...@alum.mit.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't forget right now GAE/Java is really really beta.  You are only
>>> allowed
>>> to have 30 cuncurrent threads?  Unless your app is only serving a small
>>> number of users, I can't vote to use GAE/Java for actual production apps,
>>> not yet..
>>>
>>> And like someone just said, this just came out a week ago.  GAE/Java is
>>> not
>>> a priority feature in this landscape, not yet..
>>>
>>> Maybe after a month, if Tapestry is still not working in GAE/Java, then
>>> start ratcheting up the pressure and complaints.. sorry.
>>>
>>> So I guess if it's really really important for you, you won't be able to
>>> upgrade to 5.1 for a few more weeks.. sorry.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry
Director of Open Source Technology at Formos