To expand: that error is associated with an event handler method
returning a value (JSONObject) that is appropriate for an Ajax
response, but doing so during a traditional (i.e., non-Ajax) request.
So for some reason, either it was a traditional request, or something
on the browser side prevented Tapestry from recognizing he request as
Ajax (it looks for an XHR header).